Home Insurance Planning Quick Reference
Follow these steps to make the insurance claims process as painless as possible.
Take an Inventory of Your Property
- Take photos/videos of your home before a disaster strikes
- Make detailed list of personal property, clothes, jewelry, furniture
- Keep an electronic copy of the inventory
- Place insurance information with inventory information
- Have a safe location for Important documents
Review Your Insurance Coverage
- Review your insurance coverage; exclusions, deductible?
- Understand replacement cost vs actual cash value
- Have you cared for your property to reduce risks to wildland fires?
- ISO rating can add 5% for Firewise participation
After The Disaster Strikes
- File your claim as soon as possible
- Cooperate fully with the insurance company
- Take photographs/video of the damage
- Make repairs necessary to prevent further property damage
- Maintain damaged personal property for the adjuster to inspect